LED light source is hugely used for recessed lighting. It’s not only for energy saving, but also effective than traditional recessed lighting. It is a great way to upgrade the appearance of your house or room. With the Cree LED recessed lighting, you can avoid hanging ceiling lights and floor lamps. The Cree series of LED downlights give high performance for residential and commercial lighting applications. So, here, we are going to discuss more details on how to install Cree's CR6 LED downlight.
Cree LED Recessed Lighting Installation
Want to know how to install Cree led recessed light? Here are a few basic steps that you have to follow.
Low Cost on all Cree Lightning Spare Parts Order Now!
Cut A Hole In The Ceiling
Whether you are installing Cree recessed light bulbs in a new construction building or remodeling a house, first you should plan for its placement.
- Draw the outline for each opening as per the specifications given in the template with your light kit.
- Try to use a stud finder to ensure the holes won't overlap a joist.
- Drill around 1/4 inch hole in your ceiling at the center of the planning.
- Go into the attic and check for there are no pipes, wires, or ductwork behind the planned opening.
- You can test for obstructions by inserting a coat hanger or fish tape through the hole if the place above the ceiling is finished space.
- Now, cut the larger hole with a drywall saw. Also, mark all light locations.
Rough-In The Wiring
If you have an old fixture that you need to replace, you should disconnect it before starting the wiring of the recessed lights process.
You have to run the NM-B cable from its power source to a switch box and then to the first hole. Allow at least 18 inches of extra cable to make the wiring easier.
Run the cable from 1st hole to the second and then second to third hole. You have to continue it to the last recessed light location.
Wire The Light
- Open the junction box of the light.
- Insert cables into that box and clamp them.
- Strip a few inches of the cable insulation by using a wire stripper for opening the interior wires.
- After that, you have to remove a half-inch of insulation from each wire.
- Connect wires using UL-approved wire connectors. You should connect the like colors.
- Now, fold all wires carefully into the box and replace the cover.
Mount The Light
Cree LED recessed light designed with four clips. By pushing down on the drywall top, you have to clamp the can to your room ceiling.
Pull the clips in and then push the box into the hole. After that, push the can body into the drilled hole until its flange is tight to the ceiling.
Finally, you need to push each clip up and outward with your thumb and clamps the light fixture.
How to Install Cree's CR6 LED Downlight?
Before starting the Cree CR6 installation process, you should disconnect the power at the fuse or circuit breaker. In addition, you have to remember some safety installation instructions including:
- You should remove a socket mounting plate for adequate clearance.
- Each lamp holder has to be installed in its intended manner and orientation.
- All existing recessed housings might not reach the requirements that are compatible with CR6. So, you need to conduct a test installation.
- It is suitable for wet locations.
- Don't make or alter any open holes in an enclosure of wiring or electrical components during kit installation.
- While installing an LED retrofit kit, you will know luminaires electrical systems.
- The minimum temperature rating should be 0°F or -18 °C.
Cree CR6 LED Installation
- Remove the CR6 fixture from the packaging and rotate the flip clicks clockwise until they are oriented directly away from the fixture.
- Check for the power is turned off at the supply source to the recessed housing that you need to install the fixture in.
- Once the power is turned off, you have to remove the existing trim and LED bulb, revealing the existing socket.
- Now, locate the socket in your existing recessed housing and remove any screws that prevent the socket bracket from being removed.
- After that, pull the socket assembly along with the bracket as low as possible given the existing wire length. With the help of socket plate removal, you have to remove excess bracketry from the socket if there is. During this process, you should take care to avoid damage to the wiring. Do not expose wiring to edges of sheet metal or other sharp objects to prevent damage to wiring.
- Once the excess bracketry is removed from the socket, you are ready to install Cree CR6 LED recessed lighting fixture.
- If the existing socket is a GU24 style socket or if you are converting the existing socket from an Edison-style socket to a GU24 style socket, you have to follow some other steps. You can refer the information for this on your company model manual.
- Attach Cree Lighting CR6 downlight to Cree recessed housing socket. By turning clockwise, you have to screw the CR6 downlight into the socket.
- Slide CR6 downlight with clips in the fully deployed position, up into the recessed housing firmly until the trim ring is flush with the ceiling.
Premium Quality Cree Lightning Spare Parts at Low Prices Order Now !
Cree CR6 Downlight Removal
Ensure that there is no power before attempting to remove the CR6 LED Downlight module from the fixture.
For removing this Downlight module, grip firmly on the trim ring and rotate a quarter turn counterclockwise to unlock clips from the recessed can.
You need to continue to turn counterclockwise as you pull down on the CR6 Downlight. This will disengage the clips allowing the CR6 to pull free. Now, detach the light from the recessed housing socket.
Do You Need An Electrician To Install Recessed Lighting?
If you want to install recessed lighting in your house or room, its better to take the help of an electrician. You can hire a local electrician to do this work as they are more aware of state regulations.
How Much Area Does 6 Recessed Lights Cover?
The common rule is that you have to use one recessed light for every 4 to 6 square feet of your ceiling space. So, you should remember this when you want to rely exclusively on recessed ceiling lights and improve overall illumination.
Why Do LED Recessed Lights Flicker?
LED bulb flickering can be traced in almost every instance to a non-compatible dimmer switch in the lighting circuit. Generally, LED bulbs are not having glowing filaments. If the dimmer switch goes off and ON many times, the bulb becomes a flickering strobe light.
Cree LED recessed lighting gives you the freedom to brighten your home as per your requirements. Cree recessed light bulbs are subtle & versatile become a great addition to your house. Need to buy Cree Lighting LED bulbs or others? Find your required products at our PartsXP.
About the Author
Haritha is a Content Writer at PartsXP. She has a great understanding of today's marketing strategies that yield strong results and always happy to create valuable content & share her thoughts.
She was good at writing content for E-Commerce websites related to Electrical Parts, Appliance Parts, Food Service Parts, HVAC Parts, etc.