The SolarEdge power optimizer is a DC to DC converter which is connected by the installers to each PV module or embedded by module manufacturers. Simply, it replaces the solar junction box. By continuously tracking the maximum power point of each module individually, SolarEdge optimizers increase the energy output from PV systems. Moreover, these optimizers will monitor the performance of each module and transfer data to the monitoring portal for cost-effective module-level maintenance. Read this full post to get more details on SolarEdge power optimizer problems and troubleshooting tips.
SolarEdge Optimizer Troubleshooting Guide
If you have problems with the power optimizers which are connected to the SolarEdge or non SolarEdge inverters, you can get here troubleshooting tips.
For Installation Optimizers with SolarEdge Inverters
Try the following tips to fix the problems of SolarEdge optimizers for installation with SolarEdge inverters.
String voltage is 0V.
The output of power optimizers is disconnected.
Make sure to connect all power optimizer outputs properly.
String voltage is not 0 volts but lower than a number of optimizers
- Your power optimizer might not be connected to the string.
- SolarEdge power optimizer is not connected properly to their inputs.
- Wrong polarity connection on one of the strings.
- You have to connect the power optimizer.
- You should connect all modules to the inputs.
- Check the string polarity output with a voltmeter. Correct if needed.
String voltage is higher than the number of optimizers
- An extra optimizer could be connected to the string.
- A module is connected directly to the string without a SolarEdge power optimizer.
- Because of malfunction in one of the power optimizers.
- SafeDC mode was disabled using the key.
- First, check if an extra optimizer is connected to the string.
- If the extra optimizer is not connected, then you have to check if no module outputs are connected without a SolarEdge power optimizer. If the problem persists, you need to proceed with the following steps.
- Remove the wires that connect the power optimizers in the string. Measure the output voltage of each optimizer to locate that it does not output the 1V safety voltage.
- If there is any malfunction optimizer, check its polarity, connections, voltage, and module.
- When malfunction not resolved or bypassed, better to skip that malfunctioning optimizer, thus connecting a shorter string. Otherwise, replace the malfunctioned one.
For Installations with Non-SolarEdge Inverters
String Voltage is 0V
- The output of one or more SolarEdge power optimizers is disconnected.
- PV modules are connected to optimizers with opposite polarity.
- The fuse might be blown or disconnected circuit breaker is caused to this problem.
- Initially, you need to verify all optimizer outputs and connect if need.
- By using the voltmeter, check the polarity of the PV module and correct it.
- Make sure to connect the circuit breaker or replace the fuse. The fuse or circuit breaker must support 15A or higher current.
String voltage is lower than the minimum input voltage of the inverter
- There may be an insufficient number of modules in the string.
- Any one of the optimizers is not connected in the string.
- Wrong polarity connection on the string.
- Any module might not connect correctly to their optimizer inputs.
- Enabled Safe DC.
- Check that the number of modules connected in the string as per the design rules of the inverter.
- Determine the minimum string strength by referring to your inverter's manufacturer manual or PV module datasheets.
- Install optimizer with safety and monitoring interface with the following procedure. First, you should turn OFF the SMI and wait for 30 seconds until all optimizers are in SafeDC mode. Next, you have to measure the string output by using a voltmeter. If the string output is less than, check and connect all of them. Finally, pair it.
- Verify the string output polarity with a voltmeter and should correct it if required.
- You must conduct pairing as per the instructions of the SMI manual to install with a safety and monitoring interface.
- Disable SafeDC with the SolarEdge key for installation without a safety and monitoring interface.
String voltage is higher than the maximum range of the inverter
The number of PV modules is above the maximum string size that is allowed by the inverter.
Verify that the number of modules connected in the string according to your inverter design rules. Check how many modules are enough by checking the inverter's manual or datasheet module and determine maximum string strength.
Inverter is not waking up
Your inverter voltage is below wakeup voltage might be caused the inverter not startup. To resolve this issue, you should check the minimum string length and adjust as according.
Installing SolarEdge optimizers can be done easily and quickly. Moreover, they can be installed in any orientation which makes them extremely versatile. So, use these optimizers to increase the conversion rate and efficiency for DC to DC energy. If you get into any trouble, you can follow the above SolarEdge optimizer troubleshooting tips and solve the issue. Hurry up and buy SolarEdge power optimizers at PartsXP. Here, you can purchase your required power optimizer at a very less cost.
About the Author
Haritha is a Content Writer at PartsXP. She has a great understanding of today's marketing strategies that yield strong results and always happy to create valuable content & share her thoughts.
She was good at writing content for E-Commerce websites related to Electrical Parts, Appliance Parts, Food Service Parts, HVAC Parts, etc.