ZigBee is a technology that enables wireless connection between SolarEdge devices. The ZigBee Gateway is used for wireless connectivity between one or more inverters at a remote internet gateway point. The SolarEdge ZigBee Gateway is provided with one ZigBee Plug-in unit that needs to be installed inside the inverter and a ZigBee antenna to be installed on the inverter. However, here, you can know the complete SolarEdge ZigBee setup process.
SolarEdge ZigBee Setup & Installation
To complete the SolarEdge Gateway setup, the following steps are necessary.
- ZigBee plug-in kit installation
- Connect ZigBee gateway
- Device discovery
Before, we will look at the requirements when locating and mounting the ZigBee gateway.
- The ZigBee gateway is suitable for mounting indoors only. To install at outdoor, you have to use a separate external plastic outdoor enclosure.
- ZigBee Gateway should remain at an ambient temperature of -20°C to +60°C.
- You have to protect this Gateway from dust, wet conditions, vapors, corrosive substances, etc.
- When you choose the place to install ZigBee Gateway, select a wall or desk.
- Make sure that the antenna will be vertically oriented.
SolarEdge ZigBee Gateway Communication Kit - Shop at Low Cost!
ZigBee Plug-in Kit Installation
While connecting the ZigBee Gateway, you have to install the supplied ZigBee Plug-in in the inverter.
Install the Antenna.
You can install an antenna for ZigBee communication in two ways.
- Clipping the antenna to the inverter.
- Installing the antenna on a vertical surface.
Clipping the antenna to the inverter
- First power off the inverter Turn the inverter's ON/ OFF switch to OFF. Wait for 5 minutes for the capacitors to discharge. If you have a safety switch, turn it to OFF. Now, disconnect AC power to the inverter by turning off the circuit breakers.
- Clip the antenna vertically to the inverter side or heatsink fins .
- Pass the antenna cable between the mounting bracket and the rear side of the inverter or along with the heatsink fins.
- Open the communication gland at the inverter's bottom.
- After that, remove the rubber seal from gland and insert the cable through the gland.
- Now, place the rubber seal along with the cable into the gland body.And reconnect the gland to your inverter. Now, tighten the sealing gland.
Need to Buy SolarEdge Inverters? Choose PartsXP.
Connecting the antenna to a vertical surface using a bracket
To connect the antenna to a vertical surface, you have to use a bracket with the recommended dimensions in the manual.
- Drill two holes in the vertical surface to attach the bracket with two screws.
- Clip the antenna onto the bracket. The antenna should be positioned vertically.
Installing SolarEdge ZigBee Plug-in
- Power off to the inverter.
- Remove the inverter cover.
- Now, install the plug-in on the communication board.
- Connect the antenna cable to the ZigBee plug-in and tighten the connector.
- Close your inverter cover as instructions given in the SolarEdge inverter installation manual.
Connect the power supply to the micro USB connector and then connect to an AC source. The power LED should be lit to indicate the power connection.
Keep a Ethernet cable connection between the Gateway connector and the router or switch which is used to connect to the internet.
To configure communication, access SetApp and go to Commissioning > Communication. On the communication screen, go to ZigBee > Protocol > Multi-Point Slave.
Choose "Status" and check the ZigBee section in the communication section displays "MP Slave". At this stage, the screen also displays as "M (Master) not found".
Best Pricing SolarEdge Products Available to Buy Online!
For device discovery, you have to press the configuration button on the ZigBee Gateway for about 5 to 10 seconds. Once all LEDs have turned on, you can release the button. Now, the ZigBee Gateway started to discover your inverter. To discover, it may take 2 to 3 minutes. If the device is discovered, the signal strength of all LEDs lights up.
Verifying the Connection
In SetApp, you have to select "Communication" tab and check the server menu is defined as "ZigBee Slave".
Open "Status" and verify that the "ZigBee > Communication" section displays as "MP Slave Connected".
Now, you have to verify that the S_OK LED is ON. If it is ON, then it determines the establishment of communication with the monitoring platform. It will take up to 5 minutes. If the LED on the device doesn't light, you have to do some troubleshooting tips to fix the issue.
Once device discovery has been done, you need to verify that the yellow LED blinks and indicates the right amount of slaves as given in the illustration.
Now, it's time to verify the signal strength. If at least two RSSI LEDs are ON, it indicates the medium signal strength. One LED ON indicates the signal strength is low. If the signal strength is low, you will try to relocate the ZigBee Gateway closer to the inverter to improve reception. If all LEDs are OFF, buy a new ZigBee repeater and place it in between the ZigBee Gateway and inverter.
If you have any further queries regarding SolarEdge ZigBee setup, check your manual. While installing, you may get some ZigBee Gateway errors. To fix those errors, you can follow the SolarEdge ZigBee troubleshooting guide.
About the Author
Haritha is a Content Writer at PartsXP. She has a great understanding of today's marketing strategies that yield strong results and always happy to create valuable content & share her thoughts.
She was good at writing content for E-Commerce websites related to Electrical Parts, Appliance Parts, Food Service Parts, HVAC Parts, etc.