The SolarEdge power optimizers are not only DC to DC converters connected to PV modules to maximize power harvesting but also regulate the string voltage at a constant level regardless of string length and environmental conditions. Moreover, these optimizers include a safety voltage function that automatically reduces each optimizer output to 1Vdc in some faulty conditions. So, many people want to install a SolarEdge power optimizer. If you are also one among those, here, you can check SolarEdge optimizer installation steps.
SolarEdge Optimizer Installation - Complete Guide
Below are the standard tools that you can be used for SolarEdge power optimizer installation.
- Drilling machine and bits suitable for the surface on which you want to install the optimizer.
- 1/4’’ or 5/16” screws, springs and washers to attach the power optimizer to racks.
- SolarEdge Key - If you are installing a non-SolarEdge inverter without SMI.
Shop SolarEdge Power Optimizer at Low Cost @ PartsXP.
Step 1: Mounting and Grounding the Power Optimizer
Attach the power optimizer to the racking by using mounting brackets. For doing so, you can see the instructions in the manual.
- Find the mounting location where you want to install the optimizer.
- Mark all mounting hole locations and drill the holes.
- Attach optimizer to the rack using 5/16'' or 1/4'' screws and washers.
- Now, verify that each power optimizer is securely attached.
Step 2: Connect a Module to Power Optimizer
You have to connect the (+) output connector of the module to the (+) input connector of the optimizer. Connect (-) output connector of the module to the (-) input connector of the SolarEdge optimizer. If power optimizer input cables are short, do not connect the module to the optimizer outputs.
Step 3: Connect Power Optimizers in String
For connecting a string of modules, you need to follow the below steps:
- Connect the minus output connector of the string's first power optimizer to the plus output connector of the string's second optimizer.
- Connect the remaining power optimizers in the string in the same way.
- If the modules are exposed to sunlight, you will have to verify the correct polarity by measuring the string polarity with a voltmeter.
- Connect to the SolarEdge inverter as per the power optimizer installation plan.
OEM SolarEdge Optimizers Available to Buy Online!
Step 4: Provide Installation Information
If you want to monitor the optimizer installation using SolarEdge monitoring portal, it is recommended to record the physical location of each power optimizer. Follow the below methods to provide this information.
Fill the physical layout template using the detachable 2D barcode stickers on each optimizer. Once this form is completed, you have to scan and upload it to the SolarEdge monitoring portal during site registration. For further more detailed instructions, you can refer to the SolarEgde site mapping template application note which is available on the solaredge website.
iPhone Site Mapper
The second method is to use the solaredge site mapper iPhone application for scanning power optimizers and inverter 2D barcodes. It then creates a file that can be uploaded to the solaredge monitoring portal during site registration. You can download the SolarEdge site mapper from Apple iTunes Store.
Step 5: Verify Proper Power Optimizer Connection
After a module is connected to a power optimizer, make sure the optimizer outputs a safe voltage of 1volt. Therefore, the total string voltage should be equal to 1V times the number of optimizers connected in series in the string. For example, if you connected 15 optimizers in a string, then 15V should be produced as output.
- Make sure you measure the voltage of each string individually before connecting it to the other strings or the AC/ DC safety switch.
- To test use a voltmeter with at least 0.1V measurement accuracy.
- The modules should be exposed to sunlight during this process., otherwise they may not be powered. If you are using a tracker, the SolarEdge power optimizer will be turned ON only if it tracks the sun and at least 2W are provided by the module.
Best Pricing SolarEdge Power Optimizers - Order Today!
Step 6: Disable SafeDC (Only when connected to Non-SolarEdge Inverters without SMI)
In installations with SolarEdge inverters or with SMI, make sure that the SafeDC is enabled for all power optimizers.
SolarEdge power optimizers are provided in a SafeDC mode: When connected to a PV module, these optimizers will output a safe voltage of 1VDC until they are paired either with the SolarEdge inverter or with the SolarEdge safety and monitoring interface and until power production has started.
When power optimizers are connected directly to a non-solaredge inverter without a safety and monitoring interface, the SafeDC mode needs to be disabled using the solaredge key product.
To disable SafeDC mode:
- Press the ON/ OFF button to turn the SolarEdge Key ON. Then, you can see "Vo XXX" on the SolarEdge Key LCD. "XXX" indicates the most recent string voltage measurement.
- Connect the plus connector of the optimizer's string to the plus input connector of the solaredge key. Connect the minus output of the optimizer's string to the minus input connector of the solaredge key.
- Disable the safe dc. Now, the safe dc mode is disabled and the voltage of each power optimizer equals the voltage of the module.
- At last, disconnect the string cables and proceed with commissioning.
Step 7: Commissioning
Commissioning means you have to connect the strings to the inverter.
When connecting to SolarEdge inverters or non-SolarEdge inverters with SMI, follow the steps that are described in the SolarEdge inverter installation manual or SMI installation manual.
All the optimizers should be logically paired to the inverter/ SMI. Until they are paired with an inverter, the power optimizers don't produce power. If you are connecting to non-solaredge inverters without SMI, pairing is not needed.
Hope you have done SolarEdge optimizer installation successfully with the help of our guide. You can check more detailed installation instructions in the SolarEdge manual.